the algore effect
keep recounting until you win
if you can't win, claim that you did.
whereas what's important is that the election be final, not accurate.
the accuracy becomes least important of all when the election is close. it doesn't matter then. the electorate is split.
so you do a coin toss, in effect, and stand by the result.
By GREG GRANDIN
The U.S. should urge Mexico to recount the votes in its presidential election.
``I must give him his due. He has considerably cretinized me.'' Lautréamont
Pics click to enlarge.
- ► 2016 (35)
- ► 2015 (66)
- ► 2014 (185)
- ► 2013 (116)
- ► 2012 (118)
- ► 2011 (104)
- ► 2010 (230)
- ► 2009 (146)
- ► 2008 (263)
- ► 2007 (894)
- A Soccer Scandal Made for Television (NYT)
- Immigration — and the Curse of the Black Legend (N...
- The Dead of Winter (NYT)
- Editorial Observer: What Chief Justice Roberts For...
- When a Stranger Calls (NYT)
- Signs of Life in Congress (NYT)
- most useless comment anti-spam software award
- Four Eyes and Two Whistles (NYT)
- How to Be a Good Neighbor (NYT)
- Deficit Reduction Act? What Deficit Reduction Act...
- The Dry Half of the Country (NYT)
- A St. Petersburg Story (NYT)
- Global Warming and the Courts (NYT)
- Eager Helpers for the Gun Lobby (NYT)
- Gay Marriage Setback (NYT)
- A Recount in Mexico (NYT)
- The Fragile Kennedy Court (NYT)
- Ken Lay's Final Act (NYT)
- New Jersey Shuts Down (NYT)
- The Killing Fields (NYT)
- Bad News on the Border (NYT)
- The Evidence for Global Warming (NYT)
- Hospital-Caused Deaths (NYT)
- Naming Names at Ground Zero (NYT)
- North Korea's Folly (NYT)
- The Shuttle Takes Off (NYT)
- A Tax on the Sick (NYT)
- Teachers Matter (NYT)
- No News Allowed (NYT)
- Our Midsummer Pause (NYT)
- How to Educate Young Scientists (NYT)
- Protecting All Waters (NYT)
- Crisis Postponed at the U.N. (NYT)
- Scandal at the Coast Guard Academy (NYT)
- About Breast-Feeding ... (NYT)
- The School Testing Dodge (NYT)
- Moving Violations (Deborah Tannen NYT)
- The Dangers of Secondhand Smoke (NYT)
- Watching Out for Wandering Data (NYT)
- Don't Know Much About History (NYT)
- ▼ July (40)