The Social Security crisis is easily fixed. Raise the retirement age so that the number of (then increased) workers is big enough to voluntarily support the (then reduced) number of retirees. Done!
You get to spend the last (say, average) 8 years of your life on benefits, not a 30 year vacation after age 65. Raise the age so this is true, no matter how high the life expectancy goes.
Why not reduce benefits? Because SS fills a gap. It's an annuity adjusted for inflation that won't fail. The private market can't match that, because companies that might offer annuities don't last 30 years.
See for example AIG.
So the guarantee of SS is that you won't have the misfortune to outlive your savings, regardless of inflation and the misjudgments of the management of the annuity company you had the misfortune to choose.
People can easily save for an average retirement, but they can't save for a hundred year lifespan, should they happen to live that long. That's the risk that's being insured against.
If you want to retire earlier than the raised retirement age, great! Just do it on your own dime, to bridge the gap.
Problem solved, debt overhang removed.
(Argument brought up again on the occasion of the shaky condition of AIG, the huge annuity issuer.)
``I must give him his due. He has considerably cretinized me.'' Lautréamont
Pics click to enlarge.
- ► 2016 (35)
- ► 2015 (66)
- ► 2014 (185)
- ► 2013 (116)
- ► 2012 (118)
- ► 2011 (104)
- ► 2010 (230)
- ► 2009 (146)
- When Madmen Reign (NYT)
- Boeing, Virgin, Join Group Committed to Biofuel De...
- The Washington Panic (WSJ)
- It All Comes Down to Experience (NYT)
- The Cross-Cultural Classroom (NYT)
- Wasilla Watch: Sarah Palin and the Rape Kits (NYT)...
- Ten States With a Plan (NYT)
- Park Avenue Diplomacy (NYT)
- Official Solution to the Financial Crisis
- An Inadequate Case for the Bailout (NYT)
- Long Live the Gray Wolf (NYT)
- The Paulson Sale (WSJ)
- A Second Opinion? (NYT)
- Railroaded (NYT)
- Remember Iran? (NYT)
- Trust Me (NYT)
- A Fine Mess (NYT)
- Barack Obama, John McCain and the Language of Race...
- Up for Sale? (NYT)
- No More Excuses (NYT)
- ‘Running Out of Time’ (NYT)
- Two Silences (NYT)
- Right to Smear (NYT)
- ‘Never Again,’ Again (NYT)
- The Push to ‘Otherize’ Obama (NYT)
- No Laughing Matter (NYT)
- Truthiness Stages a Comeback (NYT)
- Blocking the Sky to Save the Earth (NYT)
- Social Security
- Financial Meltdown
- Seven Years Later, Ground Zero (NYT)
- Nice Work if You Can Get It (NYT)
- Mississippi’s Ballot Trick (NYT)
- In Search of Gov. Palin (NYT)
- The Bailout’s Big Lessons (NYT)
- Hold Your Heads Up (NYT)
- John McCain’s Energy Follies (NYT)
- Palin and McCain’s Shotgun Marriage (NYT)
- Georgia on My Mind (NYT)
- And Then There Was One (NYT)
- Candidate McCain’s Big Decision (NYT)
- Sunspot Minimum
- A Breathless Labor Day (NYT)
- The High Cost of Low Temperatures
- Mr. McCain and Iraq (NYT)
- John McCain’s Challenge (NYT)
- ▼ September (46)
- ► 2007 (894)
- ► 2006 (1223)